​Q: What is your address?

A: Our physical and mailing address is:
150 Government Circle
Suite 2300
Jefferson, NC 28640  

Q: What are your hours of operation?

A: The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Register of Deeds does not accept documents for recording after 4:30 p.m. on any day of the month.  

Q: Are there any special requirements for recording deeds in Ashe County?

A: Yes. A tax certification must be affixed on ALL deeds presented for recording. You may print the Tax Certification Form here. 

Q: Can anyone access the information contained in the Register of Deeds Office?

A: Yes. All information in our office is public record. 

Q: How can I obtain general information about the services offered by the Register of Deeds Office?

A: In addition to this website, you may call 336.846.5580. 

Q: How do I transfer names on a deed?

A: You will need to draw up a new deed. You should see an attorney for this service. You will record the document in the Register of Deeds Office at a cost of $26.00 for the first 15 pages and $4.00 for any additional pages. You may also have to pay excise tax. The excise tax amount is $2.00 per $1,000 of the purchase price. 

Q: What steps do I take to file an Assumed Name Registration Form (DBA)?

A: All Assumed Name Registration forms are available at the North Carolina Secretary of State. Once you have completed the form you may bring the form to our office to be recorded.  The fee for recording is $26.00.

Q: How do I obtain an initial appointment or reappointment forms for my Notary Public?

A: All notary forms are available on this website under Notary Public. You will mail the application form to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State will then send you a notice in the mail advising you to take oath at our office. You may not take oath until the effective date listed on the notice. 

Q: Do I need an appointment to take my notary oath? What should I bring with me?

A: No appointment is necessary. Come in any time between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Bring your notice from the Secretary of State’s Office. The fee is $10.00, payable by cash, check, or credit card. 

Q: Can I obtain a copy of a birth certificate from your office?

A: Our office keeps records only for births occurring in Ashe County. Requests are honored by mail or in person. For more information call 336.846.5580 or download the form available on this website at Vital Records. NC Vital Records houses birth records for births in the state of NC. For more information, call NC Vital Records at 919.733.3526. 

Q: Can the Register of Deeds tell me who owns property at a specific address?

A: Yes. You may also visit the Ashe County Tax Mapping website to obtain this information. 

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my deed?

A: The Register of Deeds Office provides deed copies at $.05 per page in the office. You may also obtain a copy by visiting the Online Search on our website.  

Q: How do I obtain a copy of the map of my property?

A: The Register of Deeds Office provides map copies at $.05 per page for a single plot map. You may also visit the Ashe County Tax Mapping website.  

Q: Where can I get a tax map, P.I.N. map or aerial map?

A: Contact the Ashe County Tax Mapping Office at 336.846.5555 for this information or visit their website. 

Q: How do I find out about outstanding liens (mechanics liens) and judgments?

A: Contact the Clerk of Court Office at 336.219.1400.

Q: What steps do I take to get married?

A: You must obtain a marriage license. The license is valid for 60 days. No appointment is necessary when applying for a marriage license, but we do ask that you be in our office no later than 4:00 p.m. The cost of the marriage license is $60.00. A religious officiate or a magistrate may perform the ceremony. For more information, please refer to this website at Marriages or call our office at 336.846.5580.

Q: Once I have obtained a marriage license, whom do I speak with about a civil ceremony or marriage by the magistrate?

A: Marriages are performed in the Magistrate’s Office by a Magistrate. The fee is $50.00, cash payments only.  Please call 336.219.1419 for more information regarding the ceremony, office hours, etc.

Q: How do I change my name after marriage?

A: You will need a certified copy of you marriage license for a name change on your driver’s license and your Social Security card. A form to change your name with Social Security is provided when applying for a marriage license.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my marriage license?

A: If your marriage took place in Ashe County, you may request a copy by mail, in person, or online. Copies are available after the license has been signed by the officiant and witnesses following the wedding ceremony; and upon return to our office the license is signed, indexed and scanned by our staff.  To process the request, we need the name of the applicants and the date of the marriage along with a copy of your unexpired driver's license or other photo I. D. A certified copy of a marriage license is $10.00. SASE is appreciated.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of my divorce?

A: If the divorce was processed in Ashe County, you may obtain a copy from the Clerk of Court’s Office on the third floor of the Courthouse or call 336.219.1400 for more information.

Q: How do I file for separation papers?

A: It is advisable to see an attorney. The recording fee is $26.00 for the first 15 pages and $4.00 for each additional page.