If I am over the age of 65 or disabled do I have to pay property taxes?

North Carolina excludes from property taxes the greater of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) or fifty percent (50%) of the appraised value of a permanent residence owned and occupied by a qualifying owner. A qualifying owner is an owner who meets all of the following requirements as of January 1 preceding the taxable year for which the benefit is claimed:

  • Is at least 65 years of age or totally and permanently disabled.
  • Has an income for the preceding calendar year of not more than twenty-eight thousand one hundred dollars ($28,100).
  • Is a North Carolina resident.
  • If you think you may qualify you must apply with the Tax Assessor’s office before June 1st to be considered for this exemption.                                           

If my property is used for farming do I receive a property tax reduction?

There is a program called the use-value assessment program. This is a program which can result in lower property taxes for property which qualifies.  The program targets property which is in actual production of a qualifying product. The three categories of use are Agriculture, Horticulture and Forestry. Agricultural use can include such products as cattle, hay and tobacco. Horticultural use can include such products as Christmas trees, shrubbery, fruits and vegetables. Forestry use involves the commercial production of timber. There are several qualifying factors which must be looked at to determine if the property is eligible for this program. Any property owner wishing to have his/her property considered for this special assessment must apply with the County Assessor’s office during the month of January.

When are property taxes due?

With the exception of registered motor vehicles, property taxes are due September 1st of each year and are considered delinquent if not paid by January 5th. Interest will be added January 6th at the rate of 2% and an additional 3/4% each month thereafter until the amount is paid in full. A 2% discount is given if payment is received prior to September 1st. 

The due date for taxes on registered motor vehicles is determined by the plate expiration date. A tax notice is usually prepared and mailed approximately 3 months after the tag is renewed or a new tag is purchased. Interest will be added on the 1st day of the second month following the date of the notice at the rate of 5% the first month and 3/4% each month thereafter until paid in full.

Can I pay my taxes with a credit card?

At this time we can not accept payment of taxes with a credit card or check card.

Am I required to list my property in January?

In January of each year you are required to submit to the County Assessor’s office a listing of all applicable property you own as of January 1st.

You are not required to list real property with the County Assessor in January. Real property would include land and buildings.

You are required to list any taxable personal property, except registered motor vehicles, and report any improvements you have made to your real property since the last listing period. Personal property would include such items as mobile homes, farm equipment, and business personal property. Failure to submit a timely listing will result in a 10% penalty. You should contact the Assessor’s office at 336-219-2554 if you have any questions about listing.

I received a tax bill for a vehicle I sold, what should I do?

When you sold your vehicle you should have either transferred the tag to another vehicle or surrendered the tag to DMV.

If you transferred the tag to another vehicle you should pay the tax bill as it was sent to you. If this bill is not paid you will not be able to renew the tag when it expires.

If you surrendered the tag to DMV they gave you a printout indicating that the tag was turned in and is no longer valid. You should bring that document along with the tax bill to the Tax Collector’s office for a possible reduction of the taxes. The reduction will be based on how many months were left on the tag when it was surrendered to DMV.

I received a tax bill for property I sold earlier this year, what should I do?

Tax bills are issued in the name of the person(s) who owned the property as of January 1st of each year. If you sell property after January 1st, you will still receive the tax bill for the entire year. You are considered to be responsible for the current year tax bill. Usually when property sells an agreement is made between buyer and seller concerning property taxes. You should look at you closing statement or contact the Attorney who handled the closing to find out who agreed to pay the taxes. If the taxes remain unpaid the tax lien will follow the property but, as owner on January 1st, you will be held liable for the taxes.

What is the SWDF that is included on my tax bill?

SWDF or solid waste disposal fee, is included on each tax bill when there is an occupied dwelling included in the bill. The money generated through this fee is used for the operation of the landfill. The fee is $130 per dwelling and entitles the property owner to dispose of household garbage at any of the county convenience centers or at the county landfill. You should visit the Environmental Services site for information on hours of operation and questions about disposal of garbage. You may make a request for the $130 to be waived if the dwelling is vacant for the year of the tax. Application forms are available at the Tax Administrators office for this request.