Welcome to Ashe County
You have reached the Ashe County Board of Elections Website. We hope you find useful information that helps to better educate you in the elections process.
The Ashe County Board of Elections’ duty is to conduct fair, honest and impartial elections so that all citizens have the chance to exercise their right to vote. The Board of Elections is responsible for conducting all elections including federal, state, county, municipal and special referenda. The Ashe County Board Of Elections operates in accordance with North Carolina General Statutes, Chapter 163.
PHOTO ID, SAME-DAY REGISTRATION, OUT-OF-PRECINCT VOTING, & PREREGISTRATION
On July 29, a panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit struck down photo ID requirements and other elections procedures enacted under S.L. 2013-381 and amended by S.L. 2015-103. Barring any alternative outcome on appeal, the following are no longer enforceable:
- Photo ID requirement contained in Part 2 of Session Law 2013-381, as amended by Session Law 2015-103;
- Removal of preregistration contained in Part 12 of Session Law 2013-381;
- Elimination of same-day registration contained in Part 16 of Session Law 2013-381;
- Changes to early voting contained in Part 25 of Session Law 2013-381; and
- Elimination of out-of-precinct voting contained in Part 49 of Session Law 2013-381.
The district court order is available here. Please check back at this website for updates as they become available.